Jump to a section
Does TikTok know your location? • How does TikTok know your location? • When you turn location services off • How to turn off location services in TikTok
Does TikTok know your location?
While using the TikTok app, you may be asked to give TikTok access to your location—also known as turning on location services. For example, we may ask you to turn on location services the first time you open your For You feed or if you want to tag a location in a video you post and you haven't already turned on location services. Turning on location services helps us improve your app experience by showing you videos that are popular in your area and ads that are more relevant to you.
How does TikTok know your location?
When location services are turned on, TikTok will receive your approximate location from your device's GPS and Wi-Fi signals to help customize and improve your TikTok experience.
Please note that:
• TikTok does not collect precise location information and does not know the specific location of your device.
• The location data TikTok receives from your device is an area of at least 3 square kilometers (1.16 square miles) from your actual location. The area may be larger, depending on the operating system type and version your device is currently running.
When you turn location services off
You can turn off location services at any time in your Privacy settings in the TikTok app.
Keep in mind, when you turn off location services:
• An IP address generally only allows us to estimate the country, region, or city where you may be located.
• IP addresses used to determine your approximate location include the IP address associated with your internet service provider and the IP addresses associated with your mobile network, depending on how you access TikTok.
How to turn off location services in TikTok
To turn off location settings in TikTok:
1. Tap Profile in the bottom right.
2. Tap the 3-line icon in the top right.
3. Tap Settings and privacy.
4. Tap Privacy, then tap Allow location access.
5. You'll be redirected to your phone app settings where you can change the permission settings to Never.
You can also update your location settings in your device's settings. Learn more in the Google Account Help Center or Apple Support.