Jump to a section
About video downloads on TikTok • How to download a video • How to manage who can download your videos • How to save videos to your device
About video downloads on TikTok
Downloading a video lets you share and enjoy TikTok videos offline. You can allow other people to download your videos with the Video downloads setting.
A few things to know about video downloads on TikTok:
• When you allow people on TikTok to download your videos, they can save your video to their device, convert your videos to live photos, GIFs, and directly share your videos to other third-party platforms.
• If you don't allow people on TikTok to download your videos, they also can't convert your videos to live photos, GIFs, or directly share your videos to some third-party platforms. Keep in mind, they can still share your video through a link or through direct messages on third-party platforms. You'll still have the download and all the sharing options for your own videos.
• Once you turn the video downloads setting off, people can't download videos that you already posted and your future videos.
• If the video downloads setting was on and you turned it off, any of your videos that were downloaded when the setting was on won't be impacted. This means that any downloaded videos will stay on another person's device.
• If your account is private or if you're under the age of 16, your video downloads setting is turned off by default and you can't turn it on. If you change your account to public, you may choose to turn this setting on or off.
If you'd like to change who can watch your videos, learn how to change the privacy settings for your videos.
How to download a video
To download a video:
1. In the TikTok app, go to the video you'd like to download.
2. Tap the Share button on the side of the video.
3. Tap Save video. If you don't have the option to save a video, this means the creator doesn't allow it.
How to manage who can download your videos
To turn your video downloads on or off:
1. In the TikTok app, tap Profile at the bottom.
2. Tap the Menu button at the top.
3. Tap Settings and privacy.
4. Tap Privacy, then tap Downloads.
5. Turn the Video downloads setting on or off.
How to save videos to your device
We recommend downloading your video before you post so that you have offline copies of your content.
To save a video before posting:
1. On the Post screen, tap More options.
2. Below Advanced settings, turn the Save to device setting on or off.