Direct messages are private messages that can be sent to friends and people you follow.
To send a direct message to a user:
1. Go to the user's profile.
2. Tap Message.
3. Start messaging!
To send videos to friends through direct message:
1. Tap Share on the video you want to send.
2. Tap Message and select the friend or friends you want to message.
3. Hit Send.
As part of our commitment to improving safety on TikTok, we are introducing new restrictions on who can use our Direct Messaging feature. Only those aged 16 and over will be able to send and receive Direct Messages. Users who do not meet the age requirements to use Direct Messaging will no longer have access to it.
Note: You must be following a user to direct message and messaging must be enabled in Privacy.
Direct message settings
To change direct message settings:
1. Go to Me.
2. Tap ... , located on the top right corner.
3. Select Privacy > Who can send me direct messages.
4. Choose Everyone, Friends, or No one.