Jump to a section
Types of TikTok accounts
On TikTok, you can choose to have a Personal Account or a Business Account. We're building more features for our Personal Accounts to help our creator community find more ways to express themselves and connect with their audience. We're also building more commercial features to help our business community make TikTok a part of their overall business strategy.
Business Accounts are public profiles that allow brands and businesses to use our marketing tools to build a cohesive marketing strategy on TikTok. They're a good choice for:
• Businesses engaging consumers in an entertaining way. For example, businesses can create organic content that people on TikTok can engage with.
• Businesses looking for more commercial-focused tools. With a Business Account, you have access to advanced business tools (example: Business Creative Hub). This helps you create a comprehensive marketing strategy.
Anyone whose primary goal on TikTok is to promote their business (either a product or service) should use a Business Account. Learn more about Business Accounts on our TikTok For Business website.
A few things you can have access to with a Business Account:
• Web Business Suite
༚ Available on your computer, the Web Business Suite is a central location for the additional features you have with your Business Account. The features include Analytics, Workspace, and Activity & support.
༚ Analytics is a place to find data about your account. You can also download your analytics.
༚ Workspace contains your Promote information. Promote is an advertising tool you can use in your TikTok app to help you get more people to discover your videos, guide more people to your website, and improve your chances to gain followers. Learn more about Promote on TikTok.
༚ Activity & support contains creative ideas and information on how to grow your business account.
• An email address on your TikTok profile
• Exclusive access to pre-cleared sounds through our Commercial Music Library
༚ The Commercial Music Library, or CML, is a collection of 1,000,000+ songs and sounds that have been pre-cleared for commercial use. The library features songs from emerging and experienced artists, empowering businesses and brands to embrace creativity and authenticity alongside the TikTok community. Through our tools and resources, Commercial Music Library enables brands to create their own TikTok trends without the lengthy process of obtaining licenses on their own.
༚ Business accounts do not have access to our General Music Library as these songs are not cleared for commercial use and are restricted to personal entertainment use only.
• The in-app Business Creative Hub
༚ In the Creative Hub, you can use the Business Content Guide to see tips on content strategy, shooting videos, and best practices like the best times to post and content moderation.
༚ You can also use the Video Showcase, which features trending content popular in your country from the past 30 days.
Note: We advise against switching back and forth from a Business to a Personal account. If you would like to promote your business on TikTok but also post organic personal content, we recommend you to conduct these two activities on separate accounts.
Personal Accounts are used by most people on TikTok. This type of account is a good choice for general TikTok users, content creators, and most public figures.
Personal Accounts give you the flexibility to experience TikTok in different ways. They're a good choice for:
• Watching and interacting with other people's content. You can do things like check out videos on your For You feed, use the search tool to find new content to watch, follow other people, and favorite hashtags to watch content you're interested in.
• Creating your own content for other people to enjoy. With a Personal Account, you also have access to advanced creator tools. These tools help you learn more about the content you create and what your audience enjoys. This can help you build a community as a creator.
A few things you have access to with a Personal Account:
• More music and sounds
༚ With a Personal Account, you have access to both Sounds and Commercial Sounds. Business Accounts only have access to Commercial Sounds, which is a library of free sounds so you can use your content for commercial purposes.
• Change your account to private
༚ You can change your account to private, so only users you approve can follow you and watch your videos.
• Be eligible for the monetization features in the TikTok Creator Next Program
༚ Creator Next is a program designed to help TikTok creators monetize as they grow their communities. If you qualify, Creator Next will get you access to features and tools to help you grow on TikTok.
༚ Learn more about Creator Next on our Creator Portal and Help Center.
• Some features within Creator Next include:
༚ TikTok Creator Marketplace
• TikTok Creator Marketplace is the official collaboration platform to connect brands and creators on TikTok. With Creator Marketplace, creators can collaborate with brands on paid campaigns.
• Learn more about Creator Marketplace on our Creator Portal and Creator Marketplace website.
༚ TikTok Creator Fund
• Creator Fund helps support creators looking for an opportunity to be rewarded through their content on TikTok.
• Learn more about Creator Fund on our Creator Portal and Help Center.
Switch to a Business Account
To switch your account type:
1. In the TikTok app, tap Profile at the bottom.
2. Tap the Menu button at the top.
3. Tap Settings and privacy.
4. Tap Manage account.
5. Tap Switch to Business Account and follow the instructions provided to finish.
Both types of accounts have features to help you create and promote your videos, like:
• Going LIVE on TikTok
༚ Going LIVE is a way for people on TikTok to connect directly with their audience in real-time.
༚ Note: You must meet age requirements and have a certain number of followers to be able to go LIVE.
• General analytics
༚ Analytics show insights into how your videos are performing. You can choose to see an overview of your videos (like video views, profile views, and follower counts), how your individual videos are performing, and learn more about what content engages your audience (like your follower count over time and total likes, comments, and shares).
༚ Note: You must have posted at least one public video to access analytics.
༚ Learn more about your analytics on our Creator Portal or on our TikTok Tutorial Series.
༚ Promote is an advertising tool you can use in your TikTok app that can help you do things like get more people to discover your videos, guide more people to your website, and improve your chances to gain followers.
༚ Learn more about Promote and how to manage a Promote video.
• Creator Portal
༚ Creator Portal is a place for creators to learn more about things like the basics of getting started on TikTok, connecting with your audience, and best practices for your videos.
• A website link on your profile
༚ Personal Accounts that meet certain requirements and Business Accounts can post a website link on their profile.
Learn more about other creator tools and how to set them up.